Thursday, October 8, 2009

VOYEUR



Last nite i was up till the wee hours working on THE SELVES, stealing songs off the INTERNET when it occured to me whilst d-loading scout niblett: "by gum, i dont have 'bette davis eyes' in my library" This spawned an hour of KIM CARNES TROLLING. Who knew? My cool mom would crank KC's album VOYEUR. It was played so often the album art was always in view therefore seared into my brain. (We had an excellent stereo system).

(note: i did a very unsuccessful karaoke of 'bette davis eyes' a few weeks ago. I was mad @ myself. It is a challenging song to karaoke (all restraint). Fortunately i killed it later with 'Toxic').

Back to Kim. The real gem I dug up is a song called "Breaking Away From Sanity" which is a low-tempo highly catchy ballad w/ a CHILDRENS CHORUS.

The kids are singing:

I'm breakin' away from sanity
Showin' the ghost inside of me
I'm running away
From you and me
Breakin' away from sanity
Breakin' away from sanity

Unfortunately there is no video for this song but you can hear it here.

There is, however, an excellent video for synth-heavy awesomeness: THIS
If I were to make a video for a song that I liked, I would use elements of this video and then I'd modernize it somehow - even though 'our modern' is pritt-tee lame these days. I'd have to work it through.

Here is VOYEUR. It is truly degraded. It is 1982. It might be a video some random made of a TV screen. A 'screener'. There is also a 'live' version of Kim lip-synching 'Voyeur' wearing a very bad silver outfit and pulling some very bad moves. She's the total poster lady for BLUSHER. ('she knows just what it takes/to make a pro blush'. One of the more quizzical lyrics I know. Oh wait. There's:

I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

from 'total eclipse of the heart'. Powder keg? What? Classic examples of a songwriting team@ 3 30 A.M. scrambling for a lyric.

Back to VOYEUR. The chorus is SO GOOD. I love it.

3 comments:

Robert Dayton, Junior said...

powder keg giving off sparks: ready to blow! everything will explode! Caught in a dangerous situation that's only gonna get worse! And that's why she really needs you tonight. So you should be there for her.
Pro's never blush cuz they're so professional so she has 'it', the quintessential 'it', she's honed ...what a woman! WOW! And she's got Bette Davis eyes, too! ya don't say! I'm so there!

Sonja Ahlers said...

robert. you are too smart for your own good. (& talented).

markinprovidence said...

found on a random search...Total Eclipse of the Heart was Bonnie Tyler.

Say You Don't Know Me was my fave from Voyeur, which had a video

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

Ahlers

going on about Random Avenue, friends, art (maybe), rock (sometimes), movies, current events, childhood memories & other things like bunnies