Tuesday, July 7, 2009

disclaimer


i was thinkin bout my 'blog entry' last nite while trying to go to sleep..thinking: that wasn't very kind nor feminist of me...going on about courtney's weight yo-yos....glo-ball...esp since i was going on about that 'goddess bowl' one day prior.

i've had a longstanding and longTERM relationship with C. Love that is very complex. I could probably write a book about it.

My comments about her physicalities and what she has chosen to do by HER CHOICE to HER BODY (Orlan queasy style) are mere observations. I am simply dumbfounded and saying aloud...observations. It makes me so queasy.

She herself has been so contradictory and hyprocritical over the years - my only response to her is to suck it up like a mushroom and reflect that contradiction and hypocrisy right back. Which is why stars are stars - they mirror the state of our society.

Courtney Love has let me down repeatedly over the years. I truly held her in high esteem way, way back in the early Hole days (1991-1994). The more I learned about her personal life and the ills of her ways from reliable sources who were tainted or damaged by her actions - sickened and nauseated me. I wrote her off. Watching her run the full gamut of a career attempting to do mainstream Hollywood, US mag covers, to Middle-Of-The-Road 'power ballads' - watching her snowboard and spray tan and hob knob with dorky celebs to now coming right back full circle to her old 'punk roots' in her almost mid-40s..has been nothing less than....awe-inspiring/jaw dropping. A true sociopath. Watching her struggle and hold or keep or try to find her identity in all this mass confusion...this is something i can understand - if only for a minute. She is nothing short of a cockroach-like survivor.

Nancy Spungen carried this piece of ee cummings poetry on her person till her death in 1978:

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”



Now you can take that quote as cornball as you like but I think it speaks the perfect truth.
And I love ee cummings' poetry.

endnote: courtney was crestfallen to not have landed the part of Nancy Spungen in Alex Cox's Sid And Nancy.
one of my all-time favourite movies.
PS that pic is A.J. Langer as "Rayanne Graff" from My So-Called Life.
Another piece of Ahlers "Holy Grail".

1 comment:

CARLY WAITO said...

I LOVE My So-Called Life. I was Angela Chase/Angela Chase was me. I found the soundtrack on CD a while back. I can make a copy for you if you're interested.

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

Ahlers

going on about Random Avenue, friends, art (maybe), rock (sometimes), movies, current events, childhood memories & other things like bunnies